Drugs and alcohol are the leading vices of this age. These substances are harmful not only to the physical health and mental wellbeing of individual that uses them, but these are also detrimental to their family and to the society. Sometimes, intervention starts at the onset of odd behavior. Many individuals, however, are checked into an alcohol or drug rehab center (NY) when their behavior proves to be too erratic or dangerous. Here are some substances commonly linked to drug and alcohol abuse.
1. LSD. Also known as d-lysergic acid diethylamide, this substance was first synthesized by Swiss chemist Albert Hofmann in 1938. Five years later, the psychedelic property of the drug was discovered. The drug alters perception and increases blood pressure. It can also result in dizziness, loss of appetite, dry mouth, sweating, tremors, nausea, and other such effects.
2. Marijuana. Indigenous to Central and South America, it is one of the most popular gateway substances used by many people all over the world. Some of the common adverse effects experienced by the users are problems with memory, learning, coordination, and hypertension. They may also have some hallucinations, delusions, impaired memory, and disorientation.
3. Alcohol. It may be one of the single, most addictive substances in the world today. People of legal age often drink different amounts of alcohol into their system, making them euphoric, lethargic, and confused. In worst cases, some even experience stupor and coma.
In this case, it is best to check the affected person into an alcohol rehab (New York) where quality treatment for alcohol abuse patients is provided. For those who are looking for an effective alcohol rehab, New York is one of the best states to look for such a facility.
4. Cocaine. This substance is not only a problem in New York and other areas in the US. It is also a major issue in other parts of the world, such as Central and South America, Asia, and Africa. It is derived from the coca plant and common side effects are hypertension, mental alertness, increased heart rate, and dilated pupils. Long-term effects also include paranoia, hallucinations, restlessness, and other psychological symptoms.
5. Morphine. First discovered in 1804 by Friedrich Serturner and was used to relieve pain associated with certain diseases. It can be addictive, though, and users may experience nausea, vomiting, and constipation. Other side effects are euphoria, appetite suppression, and reduction of consciousness which may sometimes lead to accidents.
6. Heroin. This drug and morphine share a common past as they are both derived from the same plant, which is the opium poppy. It can cause addiction to the user, as well as collapsed veins, infection of the heart lining, respiratory, pneumonia, and other diseases. Families who want to save their loved ones from heroin addiction can check those individuals into New York drug rehab centers.
Substance addiction is a problem for almost any family. Often, all family members and friends can do is watch while the individual deteriorates in front of their eyes. Luckily, this needn't be the case as these patients can be treated by professionals inside a drug rehab center (NY).